Sunday, September 21, 2008

Working on my Servant's degree...

Today was a whirlwind of a day...But a wonderful day! It started off bright and early where I attended a fall retreat arranged by Urbanedge Yoga. It was fantastic. A bunch of yoga enthusiasts, a day full of activities and the main facilitator: HH Bhaktimarga Swami. Need I say more? It was amazing. And sharing realizations about Krishna with others....I gotta say, there is no greater high than that!

There were many highlights to my day...one of which was a very nice conversation I had with HH BMS. Maharaja is one of the most amazing, humble and genuine devotees I have ever met and I feel so lucky that he is one of my mentors. I was telling him that I had just finished my defense and had received my masters and he said something really interesting....."So now that you've obtained your Masters degree....what's next? Working on your Servant's degree??" We had some nice laughs at that...but what a deep and significant underlying meaning...how presumptuous is it in modern academia to present one with the title of Master? It conveys the "I am the controller" attitude that surrounds us daily.

Instead I am proud to say that yes, I AM working on my Servant's degree....it will be a lifelong (perhaps many lifetimes long) journey, but I know the goal at the end of it will be the sweetest of all...

No comments: