Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Getting Back to Nature

Recently I got an indication that I should spend sometime with Nature.

Being in Toronto with its towering buildings, bright city lights and fast-paced lifestyle, always surcharges me with lots of energy, but it also does a number on my subtle consciousness. Being a person who is always trying to control things (I'm working on it!) and likes to keep active, I oftentimes lose perspective that I am just a mere instrument who is trying to remember Krsna.

Now that I'm back in Ottawa and removed from my "natural habitat" of whirlwind chaos, I am trying to ground myself again. It's funny, when I once approached my Guru Maharaja asking him what to look for in a spiritual master, he told me, "You need someone who grounds you." It's true, we all need that.

Not only do we need people in our lives who help to ground us whether it be emotionally, mentally or spiritually, but we also need to seek out personal time to indulge in this very necessary practice.

One way is to get back to Nature. One can experience so much support and strength just by sitting in the grass. The earth is always supporting us whether we realize it or not. Similarly, what better way is there to hear music than to listen to the chatter of the birds, the humming of the bees or the rustling of the leaves. In fact, sometimes they make the best accompanying instruments for a kirtan!

Most importantly of all, Nature can help us remember Krsna. Krsna's favorite haunts include his Vrndavana forest, the flowing river Yamuna and the beautiful forest animals.

We are so lucky to have these gifts which are not only so valuable but also freely available to us. Our lives are filled with so much chatter and it makes it very difficult to hear what the soul is crying out for. It also makes it very difficult to hear what suggestions Krsna is revealing to us within our hearts.

So, whether we live in a huge metropolitan city or a small farm, take the time to spend some alone time with Nature. You'll never know what you'll hear.

No comments: