Thursday, July 30, 2009

Putting Krishna Back Into the Equation

For the past few days I've been taking advantage of one of the things I love about Ottawa— the winding, scenic walking paths. It allows me to escape into the serenity I am searching for.

As I've been taking these long japa walks, I've noticed that a lot of realizations have come bubbling to the surface. Although I have been searching for answers and guidance, I realize now that I'd been searching for it externally. Why? Because it is just so much easier!

As an aspiring bhakti yogi, I practice mantra meditation, associate with other bhakti yogis and try to perform as much bhakti yoga as possible. It's easy to fool myself into thinking "I try to work very hard on my internal spiritual practice," when in reality I'm just running on automatic pilot.

The problem is, like everything in life, things start to become routine. But that's just it. This is a perfect example of imposing a material perspective on a spiritual practice. Bhakti is NOT a routine. It is ever-fresh and full of bliss. While engaging in my sadhana and practices, I albeit unknowingly, take Krishna out of the equation!

How is that possible, you might say? Well it can actually be pretty easy. It's when we take Krishna out of the equation, that everything becomes dry, routine and tasteless. It becomes just like any other job you've ever had.

The only way to put Krishna back into the equation is by re-focusing. Nothing is as important as chanting the maha-mantra. Nothing. But it just can't be any kind of chanting, it has to be chanting with emotion.

Now if you are like me, most times when I chant the only emotion I feel is "eager anticipation." Not the eager anticipation to please Krishna, sorry folks, but the eager anticipation to finish my sixteen rounds! Sad, but true.

But the path of bhakti is amazing. Despite any handicaps one may have, there is a way! In this case, just channel any emotion you feel into your chanting. If you are eagerly anticipating finishing your rounds, then eagerly anticipate to hear at least one mantra properly. If you are feeling sad, then pray to Krishna that one day the intensity of the sadness you are feeling at that moment may one day be the intensity of love you will feel for him.

We can all experience guidance and strength. It's within our capacity. We just need to put Krishna back into the equation and get rid of the "I'm too busy," or, "there's no time," that prevents us from feeling it.

No comments: