Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Opportunities and Surrender

Opportunities and surrender. It seems to be the theme for this Summer of 2011. Opportunities to travel, to meet new people, to explore opportunities and most importantly to see the lesson in every situation.

That's become my definition of surrender- to see the lesson I need to learn in every circumstance I find myself in. What can I learn from this? What is Krsna trying to teach me? What unwanted qualities are holding me back from allowing me to embrace Krsna's plan for me?

Although it's so easy to compare and bemoan that Krsna may "appear" to be more merciful to others, it's actually the coward's way out. It's another ploy on the part of my fickle mind to shift responsibility and play the blame game. But what's the use?

Instead of feeling a sense of satisfaction, I feel a loss of control and instead of exercising the free will that Krsna has given me, I act like an ungrateful fool by trying to toss it back into His face.

I forget I have a choice. That free will can be spent in understanding that in spite of the choices I make, Krsna is so merciful that He is trying to take me back to Him. Whatever lessons, whatever successes and whatever failures, He is beside me. He is the one person who will never give up on me and will always be there to encourage me.

Little by little, I get glimpses of that encouragement when I step back and take stalk of what Krsna is trying to teach me. Although at times it can be exhausting, and definitely battering to my false ego, there is also a refreshing sense of freedom.

That freedom frees me from the false illusions that I have about myself and in turn presents opportunities that may have never come otherwise. It makes complete sense doesn't it? Only when we let go of those things that are holding us back can we be open to whatever will help us to move forward.

Although completely logical, it can also be hard to apply practically. That is why I'm so grateful to all my mentors, friends, parents and well-wishers who act as my role models in always seeking to find Krsna in all aspects of their lives. Thank you for giving me the inspiration and encouragement to follow in your footsteps.

No comments: