Monday, October 27, 2008

Fountains of Mercy

As I continue my travels, I am now writing from Rockville, Maryland. Tomorrow, along with Gaura Vani and some other wonderful musicians we will be holding a Diwali kirtan at the Washington National Cathedral. Krishna never ceases to amaze me with the incredible opportunities that he arranges for me! WOW! But more on that later...

Right now I wanted to express my gratitude for the association Krishna has given me, throughout this lifetime, surely past lifetimes, and especially for the past couple of weeks. Ever since I finished my Masters thesis, I have had the opportunity to associate with the most amazing devotees: Pyari Mohan prabhu, my beloved spiritual master, devotees (in Ottawa, Toronto and Hartford), my parents etc etc... But, specifically I am grateful to have the association of senior, elevated vaishnavis.

Oftentimes when we speak of "amazing association" there is a tendency to think of saffron! And more specifically that "saffron" refers to one's spiritual master and/or the other elevated sannyasis within our movement.

But a lot of us have taken birth in a female body this time around and who better to help us understand and help us in our spiritual life but those incredible vaishnavis who have dedicated their lives to serving Guru, Gauranga and the devotees. In the past two weeks I have had the association of three remarkable vaishnavis: my mother, Jivanaushadi prabhu, and Rukmini prabhu.

From my mother I am constantly learning the lessons of patience and tolerance. She has to deal with me! That means she has these two qualities in abundance! :D

From Jiva prabhu I began to get a glimpse of what it means to be single pointed in one's devotional service. She is so strong and so steadfast in her services as a pujari, cook and a mentor.

From Rukmini prabhu, who I have the great fortune of staying with currently, I am learning what it means to love and give oneself without any pretense or agenda. She is so caring and warm.

Of course all of these amazing vaishnavis have numerous qualities, but these were some that really struck out for me. I pray that Krishna will continue to bless me with the association of these wonderful vaishnavis and others and that I may follow in their footsteps in my journey of becoming a devotee.

No comments: