Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Losing my heart in Hartford...

Sri Sri Jagannath, Baladeva and Subhadra as well as Gaura Nitai-The presiding deities of ISKCON Hartford

Radha Damodara also got to be on the altar!


For the past three days I had the most amazing opportunity to visit ISKCON Hartford. Nestled in the small city of East Hartford, this temple (which is located in a house) is one of the most amazing places where I have seen Krishna consciousness being practiced.

The temple president, HG Pyari Mohan prabhu, and his incredible wife, HG Jivanaushadi prabhu, are living examples and role models of how one can practice Krishna consciousness in the society we live in today. Although a relatively smaller temple in terms of physical structure, what this temple has in abundance is the amount of love and heart-heart relationships amongst the devotees.

Both Pyari and Jiva prabhus have an incredible capacity to make everyone feel so cherished, welcome and loved. And the laughter! I have never laughed so much as I did in the three days I spent there. There was always the sound of laughter and giggles, jokes and witty comments ringing through the rooms and hallways of ISKCON Hartford. This was in conjunction with the service that was always being performed.

Both Pyari and Jiva prabhus are always engaged in service. Whether it be fixing the temple, cooking, cleaning, washing, chanting or taking care of the devotees....It was amazing! And Jiva prabhu is the most AMAZING cook. Not only does she make a great variety of different foodstuffs to offer to Krishna, but the amount of love and devotion she puts into the preparations can be tasted!

One of the most amazing service that they both provide is to take care of devotees. No matter how busy they both are, they take the time to listen, share, counsel and joke. It is such a wonderful example. Oftentimes in our lives we put service as the top priority and taking care of devotees gets put away to the side. But here, I witnessed first hand the example of how no matter how much service there was (and there's lots!) the devotees and visitors always came first.

In speaking to some of the congregation who attend the temple regularly, one thing was repeated over and over: How Jiva and Pyari prabhus always take care of them so nicely and through their example they inspire others to do service.

I was fortunate to be visiting Hartford at the same time as my very dear godsister Evelyne. We both were busy from the time we got up to the time we fell asleep (or at least attempted to!). Every night we had the the same conversation. How especially with Jiva prabhu (who we attempted to help in her services), we never felt any pressure to do service but just by watching her we felt so motivated and inspired to help!

I cannot glorify Pyari and Jiva prabhus enough. They are my role models and my most beloved mentors. If anyone is ever in the New England area, please go and experience the bliss of ISKCON H(e)artford.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I completely agree on your assessment of the Hartford temple! I first visited the temple simply to buy japa beads which I was planning on chanting the mantra "om namah shivayah" on. I was a complete impersonalist at that point. It was on that day, in the tiny shop that they have, that Jiva prabhu told me about the mahamantra, when I asked her what she chanted on her beads. I remember being really intrigued when she called it the "great mantra" and told me that they believed it was the only one anyone ever really needed to chant.

When I got home with my japa mala and bag my conversation with Jiva kept making me think of the mahamantra. I immediately looked through and became intrigued by the literature she gave me, written by Srila Prabhuapda. I immediately decided to try chanting the mahamantra on my beads instead of the original mantra I had intended to use, and have never used anything since!

I continue to visit the temple whenever I can, thought not on a regular basis. Every time I come I come alone and feel completely comfortable and at ease to ask questions and drink in the auspicious atmosphere.

Loved this post! :)