Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Flatbed Rikshaws

Ever ridden on a flatbed rik? LOL! Well it's certainly an experience. Imagine sitting on pieces of wood that have been nailed together to form a solid board. This board has wheels underneath and is attached to a tricycle-like contraption. Note, there is nothing to prevent you from falling out because there are no railings or anything to keep you on this piece of wood. Also, it's India, so along with other rikshaws there are cows, goats, cars and high speeding buses that are rushing or going past you. You would NEVER see anything like this in Canada....totally against the law. It's pretty scary the first time around, but today 5 of us got onto one of these flatbed rikshaws and made our way to the Rajaput Jagannath temple. It made me realize how much I appreciate the simplicity of being here in the holy dham. By car, the Jagannath temple is about 10 minutes away but on a flatbed rik (especially when the poor person is pedaling 5 ppl!) it takes a good 1/2 hour. But during that time you get a chance to look at the surroundings, wave to the school children, and just soak in the atmosphere of Nadia. It's just so beautiful. So although perhaps a tad bit scary the first time around, it's still one of my favorite ways to travel short distances.

3 comments:

Jahnavi said...

Also one of my favourite Mayapur activities - the ride to the jagannath temple is so nice - hearing kirtan drifting over the rice fields and going slowly through the villages nearby. And what a treat to see lord jagannath, baladeva and subhadra...so sweet and merciful....ahhh memories!

Anuradha Keshavi said...

I feel you! My favorite way to get to Jagannath temple too :) Although I never went on a flatbed rikshaw...lol must have been fun. Will try it next time fosho! :) I wonder if this cat still lurks around Jagannath meowing to get some prasad...

RG said...

HAHA! I bet it reminded you of a time not too long ago, travelling in the back of a speeding pick-up truck singing, "Rainbows, lollipops, and Jagganath..." and I think you know the rest ;). I would pay good money to see you in a flatbed rikshaw! Lots of love, my dear <3 !