Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Alankara

Since I've been here in Mayapur I've been reading a lot more. I'm also happy to say that along with reading Srimad Bhagavatam and attending various classes by senior devotees, I've gotten into the habit of writing something almost everyday. In order to write, I am constantly referring back to the notes I keep taking. So in this way this also forces me to review the various things I have heard.

Looking back at my notes, I came across something that caught my attention today. Mahandhi Swami was saying that we as Vaisnavas "wear our religion." What does that mean, you ask? Well, Maharaja wasn't referring to the fact that devotees wear tilak, dhotis, saris etc etc...This is a fact yes, but Maharaja was referring to the fact that OUR BEHAVIOUR IS OUR ALANKARA.

Alankara is the sanskrit word for decoration. So this means that we are decorated and are identified by our behaviour as vaisnavas. Srila Prabhupada also oftentimes said that a devotee would be recognized as being the perfect gentlemen/gentlewoman.

So what is this ideal behaviour?

titiksavah karunikah
suhrdah sarva-dehinam
ajata-satravah santah
sadhavah sadhu-bhusanah

The symptoms of a sādhu are that he is tolerant, merciful and friendly to all living entities. He has no enemies, he is peaceful, he abides by the scriptures, and all his characteristics are sublime. (SB. 3.25.21)

These are the decorations that a devotee wears with with honour. Maharaja continued by saying that religion thus means ideal behaviour infused with prema, or love, for Krishna. I pray that I may oneday soon be decorated by these beautiful ornaments and offer them in the service of my beloved spiritual master.

3 comments:

Jahnavi said...

Reading your realisations is a treat. I admire your intelligence in being able to recognise these things and your determination in writing and reviewing regularly. I hope I can be as intelligent one day, and of course, that I can also wear these beautiful Vaisnava ornaments in time. For now, I am grateful to be able to see others exlemplifying them. Please keep writing from Sri Mayapur - I look forward to every post! With love, jahnavi

Unknown said...

Thank you Jahnavi!

I pray that your words act as blessings and come true! Missing you, your inspirational association and insightful realizations. Lots of love right back!

Unknown said...

Once again wonderful thanks for sharing