Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Appreciation and Gratitude

This past week I have had the opportunity to learn so much in the way of gratitude and appreciation. I haven't been posting and writing a lot because we just finished our module on dress making. For those who know me well, things that require a lot of patience just really aren't up my alley! But despite that, for some reason I ended up deciding to make a simple but complicated pattern for my outfit for Gauranga. It took a lot of embroidery work. Why did I choose that? I really don't know. On one hand I don't like to shy away from a challenge but on the other I knew that it would really test my determination. I am happy to say that I was able to complete it and in the process learned a little more patience! :D

But that being said, all of us had a lot of help from the wonderful devotees who make Radha Madhava's outfits here in Sridham Mayapur. For example, I had finished all the embroidery late on Sunday evening and I was taking it over to the sewers so that could stitch it up with velcro. You know the first thing they did? Two boys took a look at it and saw that I had not had a chance to put some sequins on the cadar and immediately started to work on it. In a matter of 15 minutes they were finished and I was just in awe. These devotees didn't have to do anything. They were under no obligation to help us since there was nothing in it for them, but just out of the kindness of their hearts they wanted to help us. And it wasn't just for me. For every single devotee who went to get help stitching up their outfits, they would help out in any way possible that they could.

It makes me realize how easy it is to actually help other people. It doesn't take a lot of wealth, knowledge or power. All it takes is an open heart. The sad thing is that, I can see for myself, I'm so busy trying to get others to help me that I never try to help anyone else. As HH Candramauli Swami was saying yesterday, "Whatever we give out, we attract." So if we willingly and lovingly give ourselves to others, just imagine how Krsna will reciprocate!

I had another instance of feeling completely overwhelmed with gratitude today. I was reading an offering a friend had written for Srila Prabhupada where the devotee was praying to Srila Prabhupada to help them find their spiritual master. It made me recall that not even four years ago I was in the same position and I got to experience something HH Sacinandana Swami once said to me, "Auspiciousness is all around you, all you need to do is look for it." I was actually able to feel the auspiciousness. How can someone like me deserve to have a spiritual master who is so loving, magnanimous and so compassionate when I am the complete opposite of that! That is mercy. I was also in so much appreciation for this friend to actually pray to Srila Prabhupada with such a wonderful request.

So I leave you with these wonderful words...."Auspiciousness is all around you, all you have to do is look for it."

Ananta koti vaisnava vrnda ki JAI!

No comments: