Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Interesting Conversation...

Ever have those conversations that make you realize how lucky you actually are? I had a conversation like that the day I landed in Bangalore. I was to stay at my uncle's place and so he came to pick me up at the airport. My uncle, or I should be more specific, my great uncle, is getting on in years and doesn't drive so he enlisted one of his friends to drive us.

As we were driving back to my uncle's place, his friend started speaking to me. As a bit of background, my uncle's friend is over fifty years old, has a family, just recently retired and has lived in India all his life. He asked me the question that most people I run into have been asking me, "Why did you come to India?" And so I answered that I came to learn about puja/arcana and spend some time in the holy dham.

I think that really shocked him. Here's this youngish looking girl traveling around India to actually focus on her spirituality? What? He even said it..."You're too young to be thinking of all this." And I countered and said, "I think I'm already too old and lost too many years." LOL... The conversation was really, really interesting with this gentlemen asking me so many questions, but one question really stood out for me.

We somehow got onto the topic of guru and I explained that I had a spiritual master. I also said how it is so important that the guru be bona fide and that the qualification is that such a spiritual master is a transparent via medium. He then asked me, "Are you confident that your Guru is such bona fide spiritual master?" With every fiber of my being I answered, "I am a million percent sure. Without a doubt, I know that he has seen the absolute truth." What he said next made me really sad. He said, "You are very lucky, I have been searching for such a person my entire life."

Those words had such a profound impact on me. I am SO LUCKY. How much more fortunate can I be? I have this incredible spiritual master who puts up with all my rubbish and still encourages me and scolds me and loves me unconditionally. And the best part is that he sees me for what I am. An eternal part and parcel of Krsna.

Thank you Guru Maharaja. There are so many lost, fallen conditioned souls out there, but somehow you have granted me access to the dust of your lotus feet and the trusty walking stick of your instructions which will save me when I stumble and fall. All glories to your infinite and causeless mercy!

No comments: